I promise

"I promise, Suzy... Even if it takes the rest of my life." -Nancy G. Brinker, Founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure

What is TNBC

WHAT IS TRIPLE NEGATIVE BREAST CANCER?

Just in recent years, Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) has sparked interest in the news where instead of calling the tumor as ER-negative, PR-negative, and HER2-negative; researchers began using the shorthand term, "Triple Negative," dubbed the "new type" of breast cancer. Being Triple Negative, you don't have a targeted therapy and your only treatment option is chemotherapy.

Triple Negative Breast Cancer is seen in about 15% of all breast cancers. TNBC is a very aggressive cancer that tends to strike younger women, pre-menopause, especially among African-American women and women who have BRCA1 mutations. The tumor tends to be fast growing and is less likely to show up on an annual mammogram. TNBC is more likely to metastasis early on; has a high rate of recurrence in the first 2-3 years from diagnosis and has a poorer prognosis than other types of breast cancer due to lack of specific, targeted treatment for TNBC.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Today, I Lost A Very Close Friend To Triple Negative Breast Cancer...

Melissa and Robin at her benefit dinner, November 2010

Today, March 24, 2011, I lost one of my closest friends, Robin Kraemer, age 56 to Triple Negative Breast Cancer. I am so sad right now... Robin was my neighbor directly across the street from me for the past 17 years, we spoke almost daily. She gave this such a good, long 2½ year fight, and I admired her strength. I spent Monday and Tuesday with her and shared some laughs. Today she was non-responsive but could hear us talking as I sat at her side. This is so heartbreaking for many of us who loved her so much. Robin, I love you so much, and thank you for telling me to get a mammogram when I found my lump and showed it to you and you felt it. You're finally at peace, and I know you will be watching over me like you always did.


Melissa Robin at her Ohio State Party, November 2008

God saw you getting tired
and a cure was not to be
so he put his arms around you
and whispered,
"Come to me"


With tearful eyes we watched you
and saw you pass away
and although we love you dearly
we could not make you stay


A Golden heart stopped beating
hard working hands at rest
God broke our hearts to prove to us
He only takes the best


- Author unknown



Robin, I remember like 5  years ago when we joked about me making funeral CD's, yours being the first to be made including Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" and you wanted it to be played at your funeral.  Last night at the funeral home towards the end of your evening, when things were quieting down, all of a sudden "Stairway to Heaven" blasted out, I mean you rocked it out, our sadness bursted into laughter as we knew this what you said you always wanted... turn it up, please! Then this morning as we gathered one last time in the parlor room as "Stairway to Heaven" was softly being played before prayers, I never thought I could cry through a Led Zeppelin song, I'm sure you were pleased. As I'm winding down the night, I spin this song one last time for the evening, Enjoy the ride.
"Dear lady, can't you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind..."


Total Pageviews



"click image to link"