I promise

"I promise, Suzy... Even if it takes the rest of my life." -Nancy G. Brinker, Founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure

What is TNBC

WHAT IS TRIPLE NEGATIVE BREAST CANCER?

Just in recent years, Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) has sparked interest in the news where instead of calling the tumor as ER-negative, PR-negative, and HER2-negative; researchers began using the shorthand term, "Triple Negative," dubbed the "new type" of breast cancer. Being Triple Negative, you don't have a targeted therapy and your only treatment option is chemotherapy.

Triple Negative Breast Cancer is seen in about 15% of all breast cancers. TNBC is a very aggressive cancer that tends to strike younger women, pre-menopause, especially among African-American women and women who have BRCA1 mutations. The tumor tends to be fast growing and is less likely to show up on an annual mammogram. TNBC is more likely to metastasis early on; has a high rate of recurrence in the first 2-3 years from diagnosis and has a poorer prognosis than other types of breast cancer due to lack of specific, targeted treatment for TNBC.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Melissa Paskvan Shares Story of Going to Bat Against Breast Cancer Contest 2015


As a TNBC Day Champion chosen by the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation, it was my commitment to support TNBC Day, March 3, 2015 by bringing awareness to this aggressive disease, Triple Negative Breast Cancer and our need to find a targeted therapy. This TNBC subtype affected me 5½ years ago as I fought to triumph over cancer. It wasn't until after my treatments when I realized how greatly my diagnosis had an impact on me to keep telling my story of survival, because I am not the only one that fear the return of TNBC known as a recurrence. In August 2009, I found my lump by chance as I felt something oblong along my bra band line under my breast . I was in disbelief that my worst fear was now happening to me. I reacted fast and two days later I got in for a mammogram followed by an ultrasound. My 2 cm lump did not show up on the mammogram images because I had dense breast tissues. It was thought to be just a cyst but I insisted on a needle biopsy right then and there. Then the news came when my doctor called... I was 41 and diagnosed with breast cancer. I have a strong passion for breast cancer awareness and have participated in events and conferences for Komen, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation. Imagine, me Batgirl... I would be so honored to see my Tigers take a swing at breast cancer! Thank you, Melissa

Total Pageviews



"click image to link"