I promise

"I promise, Suzy... Even if it takes the rest of my life." -Nancy G. Brinker, Founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure

What is TNBC

WHAT IS TRIPLE NEGATIVE BREAST CANCER?

Just in recent years, Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) has sparked interest in the news where instead of calling the tumor as ER-negative, PR-negative, and HER2-negative; researchers began using the shorthand term, "Triple Negative," dubbed the "new type" of breast cancer. Being Triple Negative, you don't have a targeted therapy and your only treatment option is chemotherapy.

Triple Negative Breast Cancer is seen in about 15% of all breast cancers. TNBC is a very aggressive cancer that tends to strike younger women, pre-menopause, especially among African-American women and women who have BRCA1 mutations. The tumor tends to be fast growing and is less likely to show up on an annual mammogram. TNBC is more likely to metastasis early on; has a high rate of recurrence in the first 2-3 years from diagnosis and has a poorer prognosis than other types of breast cancer due to lack of specific, targeted treatment for TNBC.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Komen Series #4: Strolling Through Washington DC at Race for the Cure 2015

While I was attending the Komen Blogger Summit in DC,  I was also invited as a VIP guest of Komen, where we had a continental breakfast while WWE's, Hulk Hogan, Komen's Founder, Nancy Brinker and Komen's CEO and President, Dr. Judith Salerno spoke to us survivors and supporters of Komen's Mission.  British Singer and Songwriter, Matt Goss took stage and really got the crowd pumped up with his hit song, "Strong" that has now become the "Survivor Anthem" for Komen for the Cure.  Matt Goss amazed me when he belted out his powerful lyrics of "Strong" that was written and dedicate to his Mum while she was going through chemotherapy for her breast cancer, who unfortunately had since passed.  Matt Goss has partnered with Susan G. Komen to help raise funds for their organization with donations for downloading his song, "Strong." Here is a link to a video I recorded from my camera of Matt Goss' amazing performance at DC's Race for the Cure : https://youtu.be/_d1yPJSeMSk

As Nancy Brinker takes stage, she held a moment of silence to remember those who were no longer with us and honors the live and stories of the survivors that were present.  Nancy expressed her gratitude of support with this heartfelt closing:

"I thank you from the bottom of my heart, Susan Komen thanks you and everyone who helps do this every single day all over the world to make a better world, a world without breast cancer."
Kicking off the start of the race, Hulk Hogan takes stage, wearing his pink t-shirt to show his support for breast cancer awareness. Hulk referred to us survivors in the crowd as the "real heroes" that step up each and every day fighting this horrible disease and for leading the charge to end breast cancer.

With over 15,000 Race for the Cure walkers, it was a slow start for me just getting pass the starting line, where Matt Goss and Nancy Brinker stood as they greeted, shook hands and posed for photographs. With my camera on hand, I couldn't pass up one last photo opportunity and a hug from Komen's great supporter, Matt Goss.  It was a gorgeous day walking for my "cause" and taking it all in, as I walked past many well-known memorials and monuments along the beautiful 3 mile stretch in Washington DC.

Tears came to my eyes as I approached the finish line and receiving my "survivor medallion" for I wanted to share this amazing experience with my mother, whom I lost just 3 months prior. I always loved sharing my stories and photos with my mom throughout my journey. Below, enjoy the photos I've taken during Race for the Cure.

Komen Bloggers heading to VIP tent
Komen Bloggers and Community Outreach Grantees
I walked for all of my TNBC sisters!
Hulk Hogan, WWE,
Grand Marshal for Komen
DC 2015 Race
Partnership with WWE to race to end breast cancer
Dr. Judith Salerno, Hulk Hogan and Nancy Brinker
Standing where Hulk Hogan once stood...
Nancy and Dr. Salerno's commitment to Komen
Matt Goss gets walkers pumped with his song, Strong
Ready to walk 3 miles!
Matt Goss and Nancy Brinker greeting walkers
Matt Goss and Melissa Paskvan
Matt Goss and Nancy Brinker at the starting line
Walking amongst 15,000 people!
Melissa at Jefferson Memorial
Duckies at Jefferson Memorial
Detoured to see MLK Memorial
Passing the Lincoln Memorial
Walked through FDR Memorial on the way
“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every
experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.
You are able to say to yourself, ‘I lived through this horror.
 I can take the next thing that comes along.’
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.”

— 
Eleanor Roosevelt
Jefferson Memorial up-close 
Zooming camera in for view of The White House
View of Lincoln Memorial from Washington Monument
View of The Capitol from Washington Monument
This is for you Mom, I'm a survivor!
Komen has been and continues to make progress


Total Pageviews



"click image to link"