I promise

"I promise, Suzy... Even if it takes the rest of my life." -Nancy G. Brinker, Founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure

What is TNBC

WHAT IS TRIPLE NEGATIVE BREAST CANCER?

Just in recent years, Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) has sparked interest in the news where instead of calling the tumor as ER-negative, PR-negative, and HER2-negative; researchers began using the shorthand term, "Triple Negative," dubbed the "new type" of breast cancer. Being Triple Negative, you don't have a targeted therapy and your only treatment option is chemotherapy.

Triple Negative Breast Cancer is seen in about 15% of all breast cancers. TNBC is a very aggressive cancer that tends to strike younger women, pre-menopause, especially among African-American women and women who have BRCA1 mutations. The tumor tends to be fast growing and is less likely to show up on an annual mammogram. TNBC is more likely to metastasis early on; has a high rate of recurrence in the first 2-3 years from diagnosis and has a poorer prognosis than other types of breast cancer due to lack of specific, targeted treatment for TNBC.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Melissa Paskvan is Going to Bat Against Breast Cancer 2013...

It's that time again... I'm going to bat against breast cancer until all of my sisters are safe. I'm going for honorary bat girl for the Detroit Tigers and I would appreciate your vote please. Thank you ♥
http://mlb.mlb.com/
honorarybatgirl/2013/gallery.jsp 
(Click link to vote)

I Want Your VOTES!


In 2009, I found my lump by chance when I felt something along my bra band line under my breast. My heart just sunk, and I was in disbelief that my worst fear was now happening to me. I reacted fast and got in for a mammogram and an ultrasound 2 days later.  My 2cm. lump did not show up on the mammogram images, and it was thought to be just a cyst, but I insisted on a needle biopsy right then and there. I received that call from my doctor, I'm 41 and I have breast cancer... I was numb.  I was told that I have a rare and aggressive form of cancer ,Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC), that tends to strike younger women. I opted for a lumpectomy, followed by chemotherapy, 33 radiation treatments and a clinical trial.  I am so passionate about putting Triple Negative Breast Cancer Awareness in the forefront  that I go to bat  for all of my sisters that are still battling. I have participated in many events including Komen for the Cure, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, Relay for Life and most recently, Triple Negative Breast Cancer Inaugural Awareness Day where I raised $605 for the TNBC Foundation. I have created a blog documenting my journey to help others to have hope, give them strength to fight and to provide resources to get them the information they need to to know more about this TNBC subtype.  I'm going to bat until all of my sisters are safe... Breast self-exams saves lives! Now, let's play ball!


Total Pageviews



"click image to link"